Patient Quality and Safety
Patient Quality and Safety
In line with the Mission, Vision and Values, our greatest commitment concerns the quality assurance and patient safety in the delivery of healthcare, aiming at excellence in services, minimizing risks and possible damages to patients. For this purpose, we identify the non-conformances and the opportunities for improvements in the work processes and, through the quality tools, we promote the identification and the corrective and preventive measures.
Our objective is to make the processes more efficient and safe, to better meet and surpass the expectations of the users when taking care with quality and safety, of their greater patrimony: their health.
Integrated Quality Center – CIQ
It is the department responsible for advising the Management on the coordination, supervision and dissemination of Quality and Patient Safety actions. For this purpose, it relies on the Quality Management Services, Quality Management of the Clinical Analyses Laboratories and Risk Management.
Director: Kátia Maria Padula
Quality Management Service
Its objective is to contribute to the continuous improvement of hospital quality, being responsible for the coordination, follow-up and accomplishment of internal and external audits and for the implementation of necessary corrective and preventive measures. It is also responsible for the implementation and maintenance of Quality Certification and Good Practices Programs, Health Surveillance actions, Hospitalized Patient Satisfaction Survey, and training and development activities of the teams focused on Quality and Safety issues of the patient.
Director: Luciane Silva
Laboratory Quality Management Service
By acting directly with the Clinical Analysis Laboratories, this Service has as its main objective the implementation and consolidation of the Quality Management System. For this purpose, it uses the quality tools for identification, correction and prevention of non-conformances, aiming at obtaining reliable exams with the rational use of resources.
The Clinical Analysis Laboratories of HCFMRP-USP take part in rigorous external quality control programs, both nationally and internationally, among them: Laboratory Testing Proficiency, Brazilian Society of Clinical Pathology/Laboratory Medicine (SBPC/ML), College of American Pathologists CAP) and Oneworld Accuracy.
It is also one of the Clinical Research Centers in the study on HIV-AIDS, through the National Institutes of Health (NIH), which contributes to the establishment of good laboratory practices aiming at the best results in the treatment of these patients.
Director: Heloisa Bôtto Dompieri Oliveira
Patient Safety and Risk Management Service
Promoting hospital culture focused on the patient safety is the main objective of the Risk Management Service, which is responsible for health surveillance in the areas of Pharmaceutical, Technical, Hemovigilance and also in the use of sanitizers. This work is carried out through the post-marketing surveillance of the products regulated by the Ministry of Health/ANVISA and the monitoring of events, through an internal notification system.
The HCFMRP-USP was a pioneer in establishing the Patient Safety Committee among the public institutions, which has been currently restructured as the Patient Safety Center. This group plans, develops, controls and evaluates programs and technologies in the establishment of policies and work guidelines aimed at the safety of care processes carried out at the Institution. It is also the body responsible for the Hospital Patient Safety Plan that is drawn from the World Health Organization (WHO) safety goals and the basic safety guidelines published by the Ministry of Health and ANVISA.
The Security Plan includes the risk management actions to:
– Patient Identification – This is first of the goals of the assistance security that is accomplished through a bracelet or label on the patient and, it enables health professionals to identify the patient during all their care in the Hospital.
– Hand hygiene – A fundamental principle for the prevention of hospital infections, the goal is to carry out this hygiene and health procedure by everyone in the environment to promote in a correct and constant way the hospital safety.
– Safe Surgery – In order to ensure clarification about the surgery to be submitted and the safety of the procedure, the patient and/or the person responsible is provided with information about the treatment to be performed. Only after the full understanding of what will be carried out, as well as the risks offered the Consent Term should be signed to authorize the proposed treatment.
– Safety in the prescription, use and administration of medicines – All patients should receive guidance on the drug therapy to be used in their treatment and it can only be administered by the health team.
– Prevention of injuries due to pressure and falls – during the hospitalization period, an evaluation of the risk of the patients to develop pressure injuries and falls is made so that the preventive actions are taken.
– Effective communication – Aiming for greater security in health care, training and development of teams are carried out in order to improve understanding of the messages transmitted by patients and health professionals.
Director: Andréa Cristina Soares Vendruscolo
Risk Management Service